This article from American libraries provides a good summary of the continued relevance of libraries. The 10 ways below were compiled from both clients and library staff:
- Libraries are a gathering place
- Libraries are a first step to literacy.
- Libraries are there for all ages.
- Libraries help people use the Internet. … And libraries help people use the Internet better.
- Libraries are interested in your privacy.
- Libraries are hubs for preserving the past.
- Libraries are there in a crisis.
- Libraries offer the human touch
It’s not an exhaustive list, by any means, but it would certainly be a good topic of discussion in LIS classes, particularly if there was an attempt to rank order the list in order of importance or priority.