This is an easy soup that I like to prepare in the slow cooker so that it’s ready when I come home.
- Cooked black beans: I use one cup of dried beans.
- Bay leaves
- Cayenne pepper
- Tinned tomatoes. I like the peeled variety, as they dissolve nicely. I buy Italian brands, as they are far superior than those made in North America.
- Diced carrots
- Vegetable stock
- Salt, to taste.
- I normally use the quick-soak method to cook the beans: Boil for two minutes, then let them soak in the hot water for an hour. Replace the water for cooking. I add a few drops of vegetable oil to the cooking water, as this helps keep down the foam that will be released. Black beans take about 45 minutes to cook on low heat. Don’t add salt, as the beans won’t cook properly.
- Saute the garlic and cumin.
- Place all ingredients in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Of course, this can work equally well on the stove, but the slow cooker does a better job of releasing the flavours.
- I like to puree the soup with an immersion blender. I do this for just a few seconds, as I want some chunks and texture in the soup