Ingredients (2 servings)
- 1 cup soymilk (I make my own, courtesy of my Soybella soymilk maker).
- Shredded vegan cheese. I used a combination of vegan swiss and cheddar. As usual, I didn’t measure, but I probably had about 2 cups, as I like a rich sauce
- Two cloves of garlic
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast flakes
- Bouquet garni with dried thyme.
- Sliced cremini mushrooms. I love mushrooms, so I use a lot – about 2 cups.
- Chopped kale
- You can add any vegetables you like. I use asparagus in the summer, for example.
- Heat the soymilk
- Add the garlic gloves. Don’t cook the garlic, as the bitter taste is too strong for this sauce. Just squash the peeled cloves with a large knife to release the juices.
- Add the cheese and bouquet garni. Season to taste.
- Stir until the cheese is melted. I added about a tablespoon of flour to thicken the sauce a little.
- Remove the bouquet garni and blend (I use an immersion blender) to ensure the garlc is completely integrated.
While the sauce is cooking, boil your pasta. I like to use penne; the ones I used in this recipe were a multi-coloured variety (beet and spinach).
Sauté the mushrooms and kale.
Add the sauce and vegetables to the cooked pasta and bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.