This article raises some significant concerns about palm oil, which is used widely in many vegan products. I’ve known for some time that palm oil was problematic, but not to this extent. I did some research into some of the everyday items that I use, and the following contain palm oil:
Green Beaver is free from palm oils, thank goodness, as I use their facial cleansers, sunscreen, and moisturizers. Lush stopped using palm oil as their base for soaps over two years ago. While I would prefer to buy soaps from local businesses, such as Earth Elementals and Osha Mae, I have been concerned about their use of palm oil; I’ll be sure to chat with them about this the next time I’m at the Seaport Market. Canadian company Druide is also palm free, from what I can gather.
Addendum. The following Canadian-made soaps do not contain palm oils:
- All-Ways-Us (Nova Scotia)
- Rocky Mountain Soap Company (Alberta)
- Olivier Soaps (New Brunswick). Not vegan, since they contain beeswax.
- Consonant (Ontario)
- LifeWorks (Alberta)
- Periwinkle Soap (Etsy vendor in Ontario)
- MereSoap (Etsy vendor in Ontario). Some soaps are vegan.