Lentil soup is a staple in so many kitchens; mine is no exception. I prefer to use brown lentils for this recipe, as I like the lentils to retain their shape and bite.
- I large onion, diced
- 4-5 cloves of fresh garlic, diced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp sumac
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 cup dry brown lentils
- 15 oz tin of diced tomatoes (I puree them first)
- Vegetable broth or water
- Saute the onion in olive oil, until transparent
- Add the spices, carrots, and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes
- Add the lentils and tomatoes. Do not add any salt until the lentils are cooked, as they might remain too hard otherwise.
- Add enough broth or water to just cover the ingredients.
- Simmer until the lentils are cooked, but ensure that they still retain their shape. You don’t want the lentils to get mushy.
- Season to taste.