I love miso soup, especially if I am fighting a cold or the flu. There are lots of variations of miso soup that one can make, and mine depend on what’s in my fridge much of the time. The version I made last night used sprouted mung beans; not a common variant in miso soup, but the results were very good. There is no way to make miso soup look pretty, I’m afraid 🙂
- 2 cups water. I don’t use broth for miso soup, as I don’t want anything to compete with the unique flavour of the miso
- 1 tbsp brown rice miso. There are different types of miso, but brown rice is my favourite for soups
- 2 handfuls (sorry, this is as precise as I can get) of sprouted mung beans (I sprout my own beans)
- 1 diced onion. I prefer to use green onions, but I didn’t have any on hand
- 1 cup diced mushrooms (I used cremini)
- Braggs soy sauce
Place all the ingredients in a pot, boil, and simmer for about 15 minutes. Add Braggs (or your own brand of soy sauce) to taste. I don’t add the salt, as the miso and Braggs are sufficient.