After a week visiting family in Toronto for Christmas, followed by six days in Boston attending a conference, it’s nice to be back to a regular routine of home cooking. For lunch today, I had lentil vegetable soup that I served over rice and kale, left over from last night’s dinner. I made the soup in my new Cuisinart enamel cast iron pot, which I love.
For the soup, I used:
- I diced onion
- 3 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1 cup of dry brown lentils
- 1 large tin of diced tomatoes (I like the peeled Italian variety)
- Home-made vegetable stock (I didn’t measure, but it’s probably 4 cups)
- An assortment of vegetables: corn, carrots, and green beans.
- Herbes de provence
- Salt to taste
I served the soup over rice and kale that was left over from last night, which helps make the soup more substantial.