I had a larger lunch yesterday, so I decided to have a sandwich for dinner. I made the following sandwich spread, which would work as well on toasted bread for breakfast, or eaten with some salad greens as a salad. I added a little Vegenaise, too, as I can’t make a sandwich on dry bread. It’s an English thing: I have to butter bread even with peanut butter. As you can see, I added some romaine lettuce in the sandwich. Spinach would work better, but I didn’t have any on hand.
- 1.5 cups of cooked chickpeas (I cook mine in the pressure cooker)
- 1 avocado
- Diced green onions (I used about five)
- 1 lime
- Salt to taste
- I don’t like raw onions, so I sauteed the green onions; I find that sauteeing releases the flavour.
- I used a potato masher to mash the chickpeas. I didn’t mash too finely, as I like having some whole chickpeas in the spread.
- Scoop out the avocado, and add to the mashed chickpeas.
- Add the green onions and the juice of the lime.
- Season to taste. If you want it spicy, I think cayenne pepper would go well here.