I first had red beans and rice in New Orleans. I love legumes, and this is an easy and nutritious meal to prepare. My version is not spicy, as I don’t have a high tolerance for spicy foods, but you can always add as much heat as you like, e.g., cayenne pepper, hot sauce, and so forth.
- 1.5 cups cooked red kidney beans. I cook mine from dry, but tinned are fine.
- 28 oz. tin of tomatoes. I used only half the tin. I use peeled San Marzano tomatoes, as they are far tastier than the standard tinned variety.
- I sweet pepper, finely chopped. I used a red one for the colour
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- Salt to taste
- Saute the onions and peppers. Add the garlic when the vegetables have softenened.
- In a blender or food processor (I used my Vitamix), chop half the beans and the tinned tomatoes (remember use only half a tin).
- Add the blended beans, the remaining whole beans, and the herbs and salt to the cooked vegetables.
- Simmer on low for about 30 minutes. Stir often, as the mixture will thicken and might stick to the pot.
Serve over warm cooked rice. I used brown.