- I cup dried lentils
- Olive oil
- Fresh spinach
- Soy or tamari sauce
- Vegetable broth
- Tomato paste
- Soy milk
- Vegan margarine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Thyme and oregano
I made this a while ago, so I can’t remember the amounts of the ingredients used, so you will need to use your own judgement.
- Cook the lentils. You can use tinned, but I always prefer to cook from dry
- Saute the mushrooms in olive oil
- Add the lentils and spinach and saute until the latter is wilted
- Add 1 tbsp of tomato paste
- Add enough broth to just cover the vegetables. You don’t want the mixture to be runny. Add soy or tamari to taste.
- Add enough cornstarch to thicken the mixture. I always start with 1 tablespoon dissolved in a little water, which I add gradually to the mixture. Adjust as necessary
- Season to taste with herbs and spices
- Peel and dice the potatoes and boil until tender. The potatoes will form the top, so use enough to allow a thick layer. Mash with soy milk and margarine and season to taste
- Place vegetable mixture in a casserole and cover with the mashed potatoes
- Back at 350 until the potatoes are browned.